City looks underground to link stations with St James Centre. [Edinburgh Evening News]





Date: 16/04/2007

An underground network of escalators would link Edinburgh’s central rail and bus stations with the St James Centre under plans being considered by the city council. Planners are investigating whether disused railway tunnels under Princes Street and St Andrew Square could be opened up and fitted with escalators to provide a pedestrian link between the two stations and the new St James development. Any underground plan would seek to make use of the long disused mile-long Scotland Street tunnel, which was used by the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway Company to transport trains from the then thriving ports of Granton and Newhaven to Waverley.

Related images

Leaving Rodney Street Tunnel southbound on 8 January the walker/cyclist emerges into the former Scotland Street station and goods depot, now a landscaped area, with King George V Park just off to the right. Straight ahead is the sealed north portal of the much longer Scotland Street Tunnel, through which early EL&N trains were hauled from Canal Street (now Waverley) under the New Town [see image 5876].
Location: Scotland Street
Company: Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway
08/01/2013 John Furnevel
Close up of the north portal of the 1847 Scotland Street Tunnel, seen from the old goods station in January 2013 - now forming part of a basketball court. The west side of Scotland Street itself overlooks the scene with Royal Crescent running off to the right.
Location: Scotland Street
Company: Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway
08/01/2013 John Furnevel
Scotland Street Tunnel and its distinctive backcloth seen on 23rd September 2012 - an interesting contrast with the photographer^s shot from Spring 1966 [see image 35845].
Location: Scotland Street
Company: Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway
23/09/2012 David Spaven