Once all fields and empty, as the area industrialised following the construction of the nearby docks, a new railway was built which ran from Stratford to North Woolwich over a few years, opening the North Woolwich extension in 1847.
Although the noted railway architect, William Tite was commissioned to design the station in 1847 it didnt actually open until 1854. Apart from busy worker traffic, it also had a short burst of wider popularity when the Royal Pavilion Gardens opened. The station was partially damaged during World War II, restored, but then the decline of the docks meant a small metal shed ticket hall was built beside it in 1979 to replace the grand building.
Opened in 1854 as a grand terminus station, closed in 1979, then a museum, and now empty, North Woolwich railway station is up for sale.