Westquarter Explosives Works

Location type

Works


Names and dates

Westquarter Chemical Works (1871-1876)
Westquarter Explosives Works (1876-1969)


Description

This chemical works provided sulphuric acid to the Nobel Explosives Factory at Ardeer. It was located on the north bank of the Union Canal. A site on the opposite bank was acquired in 1876, opened in 1878, for detonator manufacturing and the company became part of Nobel. The two parts of the works were joined by a swing bridge, by William Arrol, over the canal.


Tags

Factory

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67