Opened on the Border Counties Railway.
This was a two platform station with a long passing loop. The line opened in 1859 and the station opened to passengers in 1860. The station building, stone built and of two storeys, was on the northbound platform and there was a goods siding on the west side, approached from the north, serving a loading bank. This was equipped with a non rail served goods shed. The stone signal box (1893) was at the north end of the loop. Wark itself was 2/3 of a mile away to the west, over the River North Tyne. The northbound platform was generally used for both directions and the southbound platform saw less use and was grassed over by closure. The station closed to passengers in 1956. The box and line closed in 1958.
The station building, signal box and goods shed all still stand. The main building is now a house. The platforms also remain intact. Houses have been built on the trackbed to the immediate west between the passenger station and the signal box.
Bellingham (North Tyne)
Haydon Bridge [1st]
Ray House (Halt)
Other railway and industry locations
Chesters Roman Fort
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Border Counties Railway Through Time
Border Country Branch Line Album
Branches & Byways: Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties
Hexham to Hawick: The Border Counties Railway (Country Railway Routes)