Renfrew Canal Basin

Location type


Name and dates

Renfrew Canal Basin


A short canal ran from the River Clyde inland to Renfrew, Canal Street, in the north of the town. The Pudzeoch Burn was used as a canal feeder and its dredged course followed north to the river. The mouth of the canal was, from 1790, the southern end of the Renfrew Ferry across the Clyde. Canal mouth was progressively enlarged to become Renfrew Harbour, particularly when the Clyde Navigation Works [Renfrew] opened.

The canal fell out of use and its course is no longer obvious, it ran down the east side of Ferry Road.

Later the site of the Regal Cinema.