Possilpark Junction (1879-1965)
Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
Opened on the Ruchill Goods Branch (North British Railway).
This was a double track junction between the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway (1858) and the Ruchill Goods Branch (North British Railway) (1879).
The branch was originally single track (the line dropping to a single track just west of the junction) but ground was taken for two lines. This was useful in later years when a second line was laid as a reversing spur for Possilpark Goods and the North Western Engineering Works, both of which were located south of Possilpark station.
The signal box was located at the west end of Possilpark station, on the north side of the line.
The branch closed in 1965 and the box was closed in 1977. The double track main railway remains open.
Possilpark and Parkhouse
St Georges Cross [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
North Western Engineering Works
Possil Old Quarries
Lochburn Iron Works
Lambhill Iron Works
Firhill Timber Basin
Lochburn Signal Box
Cowlairs North Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
Glasgow Railway Memories
Glasgow's Last Days of Steam
Rails Around Glasgow
The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)