Oban Hills Hydropathic Sanatorium

Location type

Place


Name and dates

Oban Hills Hydropathic Sanatorium (1881-1882)


Description

This was an unsuccessful attempt to built a hydropathic establishment in Oban spurred on by the soon to open extension of the Callander and Oban Railway from Dalmally to Oban in 1880. Construction began in 1881 on the high ground to the east of Oban station using inclined planes to bring building materials uphill to the site. The project failed in 1882.

The ruins of the building remain, somewhat overgrown and robbed of some stone for local construction.


Tags

Hydro ruin abortive

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


Nearby stations
Oban
Connel Ferry
North Connel
Benderloch
Ach-na-Cloich
Taynuilt
Torosay Castle
Craignure
Barcaldine Halt
Appin
Creagan
Falls of Cruachan
Loch Awe
Duror
Dalmally

Other railway and industry locations
Oban Hills Hydropathic Sanatorium
Lochavullin Goods
Oban Shed
Oban Oil Depot Ground Frame
Tourist/other
Oban Distillery
McCaig^s Tower
Oban North Pier
Oban War and Peace Museum
Oban Station Pier
Northern Lighthouse Board Pier
Pulpit Hill
St Columba^s Cathedral
Oban Bay
Dunollie Castle
Hutcheson^s Monument
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.