Maryhill West Signal Box (1894-1935)
Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
This signal box was west of Maryhill Central Junction. It was located at the west end of a set of looped sidings on the south side of the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway, the east end of these loops being at Maryhill Central Junction (that junction was renamed from Maryhill West Junction on the opening of the west box and sidings).
The box closed in 1935. The west end connection of the looped sidings on the south side of the main line was taken out at this time. Around this time further sidings were added on the north side of the main line.
This box was on the south side of the line and west of Dalsholm Road. An obvious niche for the box into the cutting for the line remained for years afterwards.
Hyndland Power Box
Other railway and industry locations
Dawsholm Castle Chemical Works
Govan Cottage Coal Pit
Glasgow Portland Cement Works
Temple Gas Works
Dawsholm Signal Box
Gasworks Engine Shed
Garscube Colliery [Dawsholm]
Garscube Chemical Works
Dawsholm Gas Works
Temple Iron Works
Kelvinside Brick Works
Knightswood South Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
Glasgow Railway Memories
Glasgow's Last Days of Steam
Rails Around Glasgow
The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)