Luib Crossing (1918-1922)
Luib Summit (1922-)
Opened on the Dingwall and Skye Railway.
This was a loop between Achnasheen, to the east, and Glencarron Platform to the west. The signal box opened in 1918 and closed around 1922. It was also, perhaps more commonly, known as Loan Crossing.
The crossing was installed during the Great War when the line was taken over by the Admiralty to transfer dis-assembled mine parts manufactured in the United States which were landed at Kyle of Lochalsh and taken east to US Naval Base No 17 at Dalmore Distillery near Alness.
Muir of Ord
Other railway and industry locations
Sgurr nan Ceannaichean
Carn nam Fiaclan
Bidein an Eoin Deirg
Sgurr na Fearstaig
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Skye Railway v. 5
Rails to Kyle of Lochalsh: Story of the Dingwall and Skye Railway Including the Strathpeffer Branch (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
The Dingwall & Skye Railway: A Pictorial Record of the Line to Kyle of Lochalsh
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2
The Kyle Line: An Illustrated History and Guide
The Kyle of Lochalsh Line: Great Railway Journeys Through Time