Lochmuir Summit (1847-)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
Lochmuir Summit was to the west of Lochmuir Wood. A signal box opened here in 1901 with a siding on the west side, approached from the south. The signal box was at the south end of the siding.
The siding was later lengthened and looped at the north end.
The box closed in 1980.
Similar to the later West Highland Railway in Rannoch Moor this portion of line was laid to float on the bog in this area, being on a mat of turf and brushwood.
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Glenrothes with Thornton
Other railway and industry locations
Markinch Co-op Siding
Rothes Paper Mill
Auchmuty Paper Mill
Forthar Lime Works
Fettykill Paper Mill
Coaltown of Burnturk
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife