Lochgelly Colliery Signal Box

Location type

Place


Name and dates

Lochgelly Colliery Signal Box (1898-1966)

Opened on the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway).


Description

This junction was where the line from Lochgelly Iron Works and colliery met the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway) at a reversing spur on the south side of the line. Just to the west the private Lochgelly Iron and Coal Company line passed under the railway before running north to the Lochgelly Iron Works and Lochgelly Colliery Nellie Pit.

The signal box was added in 1898. It was replaced in 1923 when the junction was remodelled.

The box closed in 1966. The double track Dunfermline line remains open and the private line is now farmland.


Tags

Junction