Lochgelly

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Lochgelly (1851-)

Opened on the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway).

Open on the Fife Circle.


Description

This is a two platform station to the north of the town of Lochgelly. The platform are slightly staggered, the eastbound one being slightly to the west of the westbound.

The bridge is built on a bridge over Station Road.

The main station building was on the westbound platform, the town side of the station, and had a wooden canopy. This was on the east side of the road bridge.

There was a smaller North British Railway style building on the eastbound platform, to the west of the road bridge.

Neither building has survived. The goods yard, which was to the east, on the south side of the line and served from the east has also not survived. The goods yard is now Jubilee Court.

There is a small car park, on either side of the station approach road.

To the north of the goods yard was Lochgelly Iron Works and, north of that, the Nelly Pit.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map