Liverpool Lime Street (1836-)
Opened on the Lime Street Extension (Liverpool and Manchester Railway).
This is a major terminus in Liverpool with a glazed roof.
The station replaced Liverpool Crown Street which located further east and uphill from the city centre.
The climb from the station to Edge Hill was sufficiently steep that, until 1870, a stationary engine was used to haul trains up to the station and westbound trains descended, without locomotive, under the control of brake vans.
The station was expanded several times. There are two arched glazed roofs over the station, the northern one (1867) is 219 ft wide and the southern one (1874) is 186 ft wide.
A hotel was added to the frontage of the northern trainshed in 1871. The view of the southern trainshed is unencumbered.
Liverpool Lime Street Low Level
Liverpool Central [1st]
Custom House [Liverpool]
James Street [LOR]
Great Howard Street
Princes Dock [Liverpool]
Liverpool St James
Liverpool Crown Street
Other railway and industry locations
Liverpool Lime Street [Low Level]
Russell Street Tunnel
Paradise Street Junction
Great George Street Junction
Mount Pleasant Tunnel
Wapping Goods (L and Y)
Great George Street Tunnel
Crown Street Tunnel
Smithdown Lane Tunnel
Great Howard Street Goods
Park Lane Goods
Liverpool Pier Head
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|