Lewiefield Halt (1933-1956)
Opened on the Border Counties Railway.
This halt was opened in connection with the Forestry Commission's purchase of the Kielder Estate from the Duke of Northumberland in 1932. The Ministry of Labour created a 'Civilian Instructional Camp' on the south bank of the River North Tyne for men assigned to the planting of the Kielder Forest. There were also temporary summer camps such as Whickhope Camp.
The halt was on the north bank by Gowanburn Farm. A footbridge was built over the river just to the west and a ford crossed the river just to the east.
This was a single platform built in timber on the south side of the line. A small waiting shelter and office were on the platform.
During the Second World War the camp had a variety of uses before returning to forestry use. It closed around 1955.
The halt closed in 1956 and the line closed completely in 1958.
The platform remained by a forestry road until the area was flooded in 1980 to create Kielder Water. Although the site of the halt itself has not been flooded the trackbed remains here, heavily overgrown.
Other railway and industry locations
Bank Top (Plashetts Colliery)
Far Colliery (Plashetts Colliery)
Seldom Seen Pit (Plashetts Colliery)
Belling Crags Quarry
Thorlieshope Lime Works
Thorlieshope Lime Quarry
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Border Counties Railway Through Time
Border Country Branch Line Album
Branches & Byways: Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties
Hexham to Hawick: The Border Counties Railway (Country Railway Routes)