Kielder Viaduct (1862-)
Opened on the Border Counties Railway.
This is a single track seven arch masonry viaduct. The arches are skewed. It crossed the Deadwater Burn. The parapet resembles battlements, even featuring arrow-loops. There are crosses at the top of the piers, on the spandrels.
The Duke of Northumberland was the local landowner, the appearance of the viaduct was to placate him. His Kielder Lodge was a short distance from Kielder station, not far to the west.
With the flooding of the valley to the south east to form the Kielder Reservoir it now crosses the extreme north west end of the Bakethin Reservoir, separated by a weir from the main reservoir.
Other railway and industry locations
Bank Top (Plashetts Colliery)
Thorlieshope Lime Works
Seldom Seen Pit (Plashetts Colliery)
Far Colliery (Plashetts Colliery)
Thorlieshope Lime Quarry
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Border Counties Railway Through Time
Border Country Branch Line Album
Branches & Byways: Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties
Hexham to Hawick: The Border Counties Railway (Country Railway Routes)