Falahill Summit

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

Falahill Summit (1848-1963)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).


Description

A weigh station was opened at Falahill with the line. Banking to Falahill Summit was common. The location had up and down loops and sidings. There was a water tank and signal box on the east side.

The sidings were taken out of use before the closure of the line and, after the line's closure, the railway cottage remained in private use. This had been on the east side of the line, north of the water tank and signal box.

There were sidings on the southbound side on opening, accessed by reversal. The layout changed and ultimately there were loops on both side and two sidings on each side, the loops and sidings on the west side probably being wartime provisions.

With the re-opening of the line sidings have not been established here and house, which used the trackbed for access, demolished.

Local

Fala Hill itself is to the west of the former sidings.


Tags

Sidings

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map