Dunure

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Dunure (1906-1930)

Opened on the Maidens and Dunure Light Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway).


Description

Dunure was an island platform station located in a cutting about 3/4 of a mile north east of the village itself.

Passenger approach to the station was by a footbridge running down to the platform from the road crossing the station to the south. The station building, typical of the line, was timber with small awnings. The signal box was just to its north.

The goods yard was on the east side and at street level above the passenger station. It was approached from the north.

The station closed in 1930, with a brief re-opening between 1932-1933.

The signal box was closed in 1936 and the southbound line lifted.

The line remained open for goods until 1955.

The goods yard site is now housing. The island platform remains in the cutting, becoming increasingly overgrown.

Croy Electric Brae is to the south, just north of Knoweside station and Croy Viaduct. This is a curious optical illusion where, on the nearby road, the road appears to run uphill but actually runs downhill. The same phenomenon existed on the railway.

Local

Dunure Castle is in the village to the south west, located on high ground above the shoreline.


Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map