This location was, and is, an isolated spot. There were several sidings here serving the end of a long tramway running east to coal mines around Craignethan, north and east of Craignethan Castle itself.
The tramway later became a railway directly connected to the line, served from the south.
A signal box opened here, probably when the line was doubled. After doubling there were loops on either side of the line.
The box became a ground frame in 1905 and closed in 1927.
The box was on the west side of the line and nearby, on the east side of the line, were Moss Cottages, no doubt railwaymen's cottages for men working this remote location.
The formation is still visible, although somewhat overgrown.
Hill Colliery Signal Box
Longlee Colliery No 3 Pit
Fence Colliery Signal Box
Annabella or Threepwoodbank
Canderigg Colliery Nos 4 and 5
Longlee Colliery No 1 Pit
Longlee Colliery No 2 Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|