Craigenhill Summit

Location type


Name and dates

Craigenhill Summit (1848-)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.


Craigenhill box was by the summit. From here a mineral line ran north from a reversing spur off the southbound line to reach Craigenhill Lime Works (from which the line continued to a quarry to the east, one of several in the area).

The small signal box was just east of the siding with Craigenhill Cottage to its north. There was a level crossing to the east of the box.

The box closed in 1973 in preparation for electrification and the level crossing was taken out.


Summit signal box


An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways

Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)

Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)

Caledonian Railway

Caledonian Railway Carriages

Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style

Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock

Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press

Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)

Callander & Oban Railway Through Time

Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)

Signalling the Caledonian Railway

The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s

The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History

The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)

Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway

Vanished Railways of West Lothian