Charlesfield Halt (1942-1961)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).
This was a two timber platform halt built in connection with the nearby Charlesfield Munitions Factory. Platforms were to the south of the tall bridge over the roadway. Oddly the southbound platform was longer than the northbound.
Nothing remains of the platform today and there was some ballast recovery in the 1980s. The gate for the southbound platform at road level remains as do hints of the paths to the platforms.
Walkers may wish to note that the next bridge to the south of the former station is extremely rotten.
Abbotsford Ferry [2nd]
Abbotsford Ferry [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Charlesfield Munitions Factory
St Boswells Shed [2nd]
St Boswells Shed [1st]
Ale Water Viaduct
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Galashiels 1897: Selkirkshire Sheet 08.02 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Selkirkshire)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)
Hawick to Galashiels: The Waverley Route Including the Selkirk Branch (Scottish Main Lines)
Last Years of the Waverley Route
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
On the Waverley Route
Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail
The Waverley Route Through Time
The Waverley Route: Its Heritage and Revival
The Waverley Route: The Postwar Years
Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway
Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route