Calder Viaduct [Carfin]

Location type

Bridge

Name and dates

Calder Viaduct [Carfin] (1880-)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway).

Description

This is a six span double track viaduct over the South Calder Water.

There was a temporary box here in 1929, during viaduct work.

Ravenscraig No 2 Signal Box was at south end, on the east side.

Approach to Ravenscraig No 2 Yard was on the west side to the south (approached from the north). This opened with the works for coal and iron ore unloading.

Later Ravenscraig No 4 Yard opened on the east side, this was also approached from the north. With this the No 2 Yard ceased handling iron ore. An area of storing ore and conveyors over the main line to the works were provided with the new yard.

Ravenscraig Steel Works closed in 1992.

Tags

Viaduct 01/07/2019


Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style

Lanarkshire's Last Days of Steam

Old Wishaw

The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History

Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway