Croy: 'Stand back - fast train approaching.' Non stop HST running throgh Croy on its way to Glasgow Queen Street High Level on 16th April 2019.
Girvan Viaduct: BR Standard class 5 no 73102 leaving Girvan in the summer of 1960 with a train for St Enoch.
Oubeck Loops: Scotty's back! 46115, fresh from an overhaul at Carnforth, hauled a loaded test train around the Hellifield and Blackburn circuit on 15th August 2019. The 4-6-0 rolls through Oubeck at a leisurely pace on the way back to Carnforth.
Farington: 37884 from the Rail Operations Group hauls a single Class 314 south at Farington on 15 August 2019. This would be the penultimate journey for 314211 as it was moved from Yoker to Crewe with the final move to the scrapman at Newport the following day. It was interesting to see that the destination blinds at both ends of the unit were displaying 'Glasgow Central'.
Clarkston (Lanark): Heavy plant occupying the trackbed of the Airdrie - Bathgate route at Drumgelloch on 11 September 2009 as work continues on demolition of Towers Road bridge. View north towards the junction of Towers Road and the A89, with the site of the original Clarkston (Lanarks) station (1862-1956) and the still to be built Drumgelloch (second) station on the other side of the bridge. Note the sections of the supporting structure for the new bridge already in place. For a view of the completed replacement bridge [see image 28847].
Bo^ness: CR 0-4-4T No.419 pauses at the Bo'ness platform end on 5th August 2019. 60163 'Tornado' is in the shed yard.
Kimberley Park: In the 1970s, the sight of a passenger train from Norwich passing through Kimberley Park station was very unusual because its passenger service had been withdrawn in October 1969 and only a daily freight remained on the line. On this day, 21st April 1979, the gates are being closed behind a DMU charter to Fakenham and back on behalf of the Railway Development and Fakenbutham & Dereham Railway Societies. The line closed completely a decade later was later revived as the Mid Norfolk Railway.
Marlesford: Marlesford, an intermediate station on the long closed Framlington Branch, sits alongside the busy A12 road rather than in the village itself. The last passengers used its platforms in 1952 although goods trains passed through for a further eleven years. The station building is now a private home. If any other relics of railway days exist they are hidden behind fencing and hedges. 1st August 2019.
Prestonpans: LNER Azuma 800112 enters Prestonpans station with a Newcastle - Edinburgh test run on 13th August 2019.
Clarkston (Lanark): The trackbed through the old station site at Clarkston (Lanark) in December 2008 looking east towards Towers Road bridge. Two years later this would become the site of the new Drumgelloch station following the Airdrie - Bathgate reopening. The recovered concrete sleepers are from the last operational section of the original line east of this point serving the Moffat Mills branch [see image 8034].
See query 2140
Amberley Museum: This tunnel mouth was used in the James Bond film A View To A Kill. The character May Day exited the tunnel riding on a narrow gauge wagon carrying a bomb. The Amberley Museum location - which in a long shot, was clearly surrounded by typical British semi-detached houses - was rather jarringly inserted into a sequence showing an airship flying over California. But there was a Ford Mustang and a full-sized General Motors station wagon parked near the tunnel, so it must have been in America.
Glasgow Central: Part of a display of images showing the history of Glasgow Central, photographed at the station on 3rd August 2019. Old stoats like me may remember the manual departures board with 13 windows, one for each platform, which survived until 1985. This picture though must be from 1942 at the latest as Overtown is shown on the Lanark board the woman is holding. She is wearing heels: to help when putting up the train times? The two nearest windows show Cathcart Circle workings, the stops unchanged today.
Leven [1st]: The view east to the site of the first Leven station, later the goods yard, in 2008. On the right was the reversing spur used to reach Leven Dock and further off to the right was the later Kirkland Yard.