Gidea Park, on the ex-GER main line, looking east on 13th February 2019. It was opened by the GER as Squirrel's Heath & Gidea Park on 1st December 1910, to serve new residential housing to the east of the Essex market town of Romford, now part of Greater east London. In 1913 the names were switched to Gidea Park & Squirrel's Heath with the Squirrel's Heath suffix dropped in 1969. This is the only station on the quadrupled section of the GER from Liverpool Street to comprise two island platforms, originally two up and down platforms which became islands with the final quadrupling of the line from Romford to Shenfield (which included the notorious Brentwood bank) in 1934. Those on the left are for the slow lines and on the right the fast. On 2nd January 1947, Gidea Park was the scene of a fatal crash when, after dark and in thick fog, a Liverpool Street to Peterborough train passed a signal at danger and collided with the rear of a stopping train to Southend Victoria that was departing. The rear three coaches of the Southend train were destroyed and seven people lost their lives with forty five seriously injured.
Location: Gidea Park
Original line: London to Colchester (Eastern Counties Railway)
Photographer: David Bosher
Contact photographer: David Bosher
Photosets: London Area Stations 2009-2023
Image number: 80485