Milton of Tullich Siding

A temporary siding was built on this section of track to enable the loading of timber from the Monaltrie Woods to the north west. It would have been sited on one of the two at grade lengths of track shown as white strips beside the rails on the map. The Minutes of a Board Meeting in Autumn 1867 inform us that Col. Farquharson of Invercauld, the local laird, wanted to export his timber by rail; he was Chairman of the Board of the railway company. His Factor, William Brown, himself a Company Director applied on Farquharson's behalf perhaps on his own initiative. They were told that the laird would have to pay for the work himself with materials supplied by the railway company. The Minutes are located in NRS BR/ABR/1/1. Added by Charlie Niven. The map extract is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland see https://maps.nls.uk/copyright.html


Location: Milton of Tullich Siding

Company: Aboyne and Braemar Railway

Photographer: National Library of Scotland

Contact photographer: National Library of Scotland

Contact editor

Date: 1867

Image number: 76570