Witton Gilbert station was over a mile from the village of that name and actually almost in Langley Park. The station, and the Lanchester Valley line from Consett to Durham, closed to passengers in 1939 but goods trains passed through for a further twenty seven years before full closure. This view looks along the old line in the direction of Durham from the site of the level crossing. Originally built as a single line, when it was doubled the goods yard was opposite the station and the second platform had to be sited on the opposite side of the level crossing. The station is now a private house, seen here in November 2012.
Location: Witton Gilbert
Photographer: Mark Bartlett
Contact photographer: Mark Bartlett
Image number: 76291