This splendid road sign at the start of Station Lane in Burton in Kendal points the way to Burton & Holme station, but without reference to the distance of 3/4 of a mile, or the hill in between. Westmorland County Council was dissolved in 1974 when Cumbria came into being and of course the station itself closed in 1950, although the building still stands alongside the WCML.
Location: Burton and Holme
Company: Lancaster and Carlisle Railway
Photographer: Mark Bartlett
Contact photographer: Mark Bartlett
Image number: 74241