GWR 2-6-2T 5521, on hire to TfL, repainted in London Transport livery and temporarily renumbered L.150, taking part in a commemorative run for the 150th Anniversary of the London Underground. Seen passing Rayners Lane station while en route from Harrow-on-the-Hill to Uxbridge, on 8th December 2013. The actual date of the anniversary was 10th January but events and special trains were run throughout the year. This station was opened as a ramshackle halt in 1906 (the line had opened two years earlier) and was rebuilt as a station in 1938 to the designs of Dr. Charles Holden (1875-1960), the Underground's Chief Architect between the two world wars. A proposal to rename the station Harrow Garden Suburb at the time of rebuilding was never implemented.
Location: Rayners Lane
Company: Harrow and Uxbridge Railway
Photographer: David Bosher
Contact photographer: David Bosher
Image number: 73087