Prittlewell station is the first and last stop from and to Southend Victoria that opened with the GER line from Shenfield in 1889 and since the 1950s has been a busy outer commuter route to and from London Liverpool Street. The name Southend derives from the fact that, in the Middle Ages, it was a settlement at the south end of Prittlewell Parish and Southend today is now the largest town in Essex with the world's longest pier. It is not really 'on Sea' but on that part of the Thames Estuary where it widens out to meet the North Sea at Shoeburyness. This photograph was taken from a train to Southend calling on 23rd April 2014.
Photographer: David Bosher
Contact photographer: David Bosher
Image number: 73477