The rather unwelcoming - especially at night - entrance to the 1928 station at South Bermondsey in south-east London, opened by the Southern Railway to replace the original 1866 station, slightly to the north-west, seen here on 15th June 2013. The 1866 station was known as Rotherhithe until 1869 when Rotherhithe got a more conveniently-located station on the East London Line, now part of London Overground. This used Sir Marc Brunel's historic Thames Tunnel that had opened in 1843 as a pedestrian footway, having taken 18 years to complete and was the world's first under water tunnel.
Location: South Bermondsey
Photographer: David Bosher
Contact photographer: David Bosher
Image number: 73197