Crathes Gravel Pit

OS 2nd Edition 6' map from 1904 showing the extent of the gravel ballast pit at Crathes. This pit location was probably established at the time of construction 1852-53; the station arrived in January 1863 having moved from Mills of Drum. The recommendation to install a siding was first made in a letter to the Deeside Railway Co. Board of Directors by their Resident Engineer, John Willett C.E.:“Aberdeen 26th November 1862 We are in want of Ballast on some parts of the Extension, and before we can do anything it will be necessary to put a siding into the ballast pit at Crathes.” National Records of Scotland BR/DEE/1/3. By the time of the 1863-64 survey for the First Edition OS map it seems to have been removed. The points would most likely have faced the Down direction. By 1904 a large area was being exploited and, as shown, had a siding whose points faced the Up direction west of the station. Large amounts of material were taken from this pit; however the points were removed in June 1914 and this area was closed. By the time of survey for the Third Edition OS map in 1922 the ground was covered by trees. With permission of the National Library of Scotland: maps.nls.uk/copyright.html

Location: Crathes Gravel Pit

Company: Deeside Railway

Photographer: Charlie Niven

Contact photographer: Charlie Niven

Contact editor

Date: 19/05/2020

Image number: 73163