Albert Quay Station, Cork, in May 2019. The former main building at Albert Quay (opened in 1861) survives as offices although the station site has been completely redeveloped and the trackbed south out of the city is now a main road. This Irish standard gauge network ultimately reached Kinsale (1863), Bantry (1881), Baltimore (1893) and Clonakilty (1886). In 1925 it became part of the GSE and survived into CIE days, with the whole system closing at the end of March 1961 (the Kinsale branch had closed in 1931) - in the face of huge opposition. The gate on the right of the terminal building was where the Cork City Railways link to Glanmire Road accessed Albert Quay. This was only used for freight and empty stock movements and lasted until 1980 as Albert Quay continued to be used as a freight terminal until then.
Location: Cork Albert Quay
Company: Cork and Bandon Railway
Photographer: Mark Poustie
Contact photographer: Mark Poustie
Image number: 72934