This extract of the OS 1:2500 scale 1st Edition map shows the location of the temporary siding built to facilitate the movement of materials for the construction of part of the Aberdeen Water Works Extension in 1864-1865. It was located where the railway was close to grade to enable easy unloading of wagons between Broomhill Cottage and Broomhill House. The AWWE contractor, (Alexander) Easton Gibb, of the Gibb civil engineering dynasty, was himself a railway engineer and made extensive use of the Deeside Railway's goods trains for transporting his materials from Aberdeen Harbour and Guild Street Goods Station to the stations along the line to Banchory. He also used DRCo's passenger coaches to transport his workers from Aberdeen in special early morning trains.
A siding at Ruthrieston Station was authorised by the DRCo. board at the same meeting which heard that the Broomhill Siding was in operation but, as shown here and on later maps, it does not seem to have been built perhaps because it lay between an embankment and a shallow cutting. Map taken from the NLS website with permission. See https://maps.nls.uk/copyright.html
Location: Broomhill Siding
Company: Deeside Railway
Photographer: Charlie Niven
Contact photographer: Charlie Niven
Image number: 72858