Opened as Kielder by the Border Counties Railway in 1862, the suffix Forest was added in 1948, coincident with the start of the massive expansion by the Forestry Commission. The station lost its passenger service in 1956, with the line closing completely between Bellingham and Riccarton Junction two years later. The station building is seen here looking west in the autumn of 2007, with the village behind the camera. The building now comprises two separate private houses, while the trackbed at the rear has been raised to platform level.
See query 2247
Location: Kielder Forest
Company: Border Counties Railway
Photographer: John Furnevel
Contact photographer: John Furnevel
Image number: 72309