The disused Widened Lines platforms at Barbican station, with the still extant Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Lines platforms on the left, looking east in the snow on Sunday, 20th January 2013. This station opened as Aldersgate Street in 1865 with the extension of the Metropolitan Railway from Farringdon Street (now Farringdon) to Moorgate Street (now Moorgate) and was renamed Aldersgate & Barbican in 1923 (though it was never shown on the famous London Underground diagram as such, only as Aldersgate) and finally to just Barbican in 1968. The former all-over glass roof was destroyed in the London Blitz of World War Two and the frame was taken down in 1955 but it is still possible to see the support brackets on the walls of the two side platforms, above the replacement canopies. For many years, this station was closed on Sundays but is now open full-time again.
Company: Widened Lines (Metropolitan Railway)
Photographer: David Bosher
Contact photographer: David Bosher
Image number: 71855