Garve station is the first stop and passing loop on the Dingwall to Kyle of Lochalsh line although there was previously a station between here and Dingwall, originally opened as Strathpeffer on 19th August 1870, renamed Achterneed on 3rd June 1885 and closed on 7th December 1965. Garve station also opened in 1870 with the first section of the Dingwall & Skye Line as far as Stromeferry; the extension from there to Kyle did not open until 2nd November 1897. Although the line was saved from Beeching, another closure proposal for the Kyle line came in 1970 when the Isle of Lewis ferries were switched from Kyle to a new terminal at Ullapool which has never had a railway but again the Kyle line was saved. (A week earlier, we passed over Garve level crossing by bus on our way to Ullapool to catch the ferry and stay with another friend who lives at Stornoway and back again three days later.) The station building at Garve is no longer in railway use and this view is from 158712 with the ex-10.56 service from Inverness to Kyle on 18th June 2019.
Company: Dingwall and Skye Railway
Photographer: David Bosher
Contact photographer: David Bosher
Image number: 70591