Alexandra Palace

Exterior of Alexandra Palace station in north London, on the GNR main line to and from London King's Cross, on 21st December 2009. This is not to be confused with the original Alexandra Palace station which was right up against the palace walls and closed in 1954. This present station was opened on the GNR main line in 1859 as Wood Green and in 1871 became the junction for the branch to Enfield which was incorporated into the Hertford North Loop in the first part of the 20th Century. For many years, this station was known as Wood Green (Alexandra Park) but the suffix was gradually dropped. The renaming to Alexandra Palace took place in 1982, the ceremony being performed by the late actress and t.v. star Diana Dors. All the Victorian platform buildings have been replaced but it was felt that this original GNR entrance building blended in well with the local neighbourhood and so it escaped the bulldozers.

Location: Alexandra Palace

Company: London to Peterborough (Great Northern Railway)

Photographer: David Bosher

Make contact: David Bosher

Date: 21/12/2009

Image number: 68458


Other photographs of Alexandra Palace on RailScot