313122, with 313042, heading for Moorgate departing from the new (2013) platform at Alexandra Palace station on 2nd February 2019. This is not to be confused with the original Alexandra Palace station which was a much more conveniently sited terminus, alongside the palace walls, that closed in 1954 after almost becoming part of the LUL Northern Line. The present station was opened as Wood Green on the GNR main line on 1st May 1859. On 1st April 1871 it became the junction for the branch to Enfield, which was later extended back to the main line at Stevenage in the second decade of the 20th Century to form the Hertford North Loop. The station was renamed Wood Green (Alexandra Park) in 1864 but reverted to plain Wood Green again in 1971 before eventually being renamed Alexandra Palace on 17th May 1982, the renaming ceremony being performed by the film actress and t.v. personality Diana Dors who sadly passed away just two years later, aged only 52.
Location: Alexandra Palace
Company: Great Northern Railway
Photographer: David Bosher
Make contact: David Bosher
Image number: 67561