The bridge that once carried the Waverley route over an unclassified road, one and a half miles south of Newtown St Boswells, seen here looking east in February 2017. The wooden platforms of Charlesfield Halt were constructed here in 1942, for the benefit of workers at the nearby munitions depot (now an industrial estate) visible in the background. Access to each platform was via steep pathways on the south side of the bridge to the right. The path nearest, serving the down platform, has been widened since closure to enable access for farm vehicles.
Location: Charlesfield Halt
Photographer: John Furnevel
Contact photographer: John Furnevel
Image number: 58295