In 1942 a Government munitions factory was opened at Charlesfield, to the south of St Boswells, located below the 'V' formed by the Waverley route and the Kelso branch. The site was provided with a freight only rail link consisting of a spur off the Kelso branch to the east, while a quarter of a mile to the west a passenger halt was provided on the Waverley route for the benefit of factory workers. At the end of WWII Charlesfield became a Royal Naval armaments depot, remaining in military use until 1963. The site was subsequently transformed into what is today a busy industrial estate. (The last recorded use of Charlesfield Halt was in late 1959, with official closure taking place in 1961.) Imagery (c) 2016 Google and (c) 2016 DigitalGlobe. Annotations by John Furnevel.
Location: Charlesfield Halt
Photographer: (c) 2016 Google and (c) 2016 DigitalGlobe
Contact photographer: (c) 2016 Google and (c) 2016 DigitalGlobe
Image number: 58281