Dalry Junction

View south at Dalry Junction from the site of Dalry No 3 box, south of Dalry station. There was a short lived Dalry Junction station here (1850 to 1860). The Kilmarnock and Ayr routes separated here and ran a short distance south before diverging. This was on the quadruple section to Kilwinning which started at Brownhill Junction (or, arguably, St Enochs). The box also served a number of colliery branches. Donald Hillier comments 'The 4 track section from Brownhill used to go as far as Kilwinning around WW2 then reduced to 2 tracks as far as Dalgarven, then it was (at that time) the Up Goods, Up Main and Down Main to/from Kilwinning before finally being reduced to 2 tracks when Dalgarven SB closed 24 Mar 1968.'

Location: Dalry Junction

Company: Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway

Photographer: Ewan Crawford

Make contact: Ewan Crawford

Date: 1997

Image number: 58114


Other photographs of Dalry Junction on RailScot