170425 passes Pettycur Bay with an Inverness - Edinburgh service. In the background is Pettycur Harbour, which was used to deliver materials for construction of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway. The branch line created would later serve a coke works and bottleworks. Sand was extracted from the beach below and drawn up an inclined tramway by a stationary engine on the headland now occupied by a caravan site, to the rear of the train. See the OS 25' map of 1914.
Location: Pettycur Harbour
Company: Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Photographer: Bill Roberton
Make contact: Bill Roberton
Image number: 54735