A short distance after curving away southward from the Kilmarnock & Troon Railway, the Fairlie Branch crossed the River Irvine by a 2-span plate girder bridge, the remains of which were photographed from the north bank of the river looking southeast, 10 January, 2016. Steelwork was removed many years ago although, where it inserted into the abutments, short sections were left in situ (the rectangle projecting upwards in foreground of photo is part of a bridge girder). The Fairlie branch curved away to the southwest on the south side of the river and served coal pits at Fortacres (beyond the Gatehead to Symington road), with a branch to coal pits at Earlston and Caprington. Caprington No 41 Pit, scene of a mining disaster on 10 December 1909 when the River Irvine flooded the workings and drowned 10 men, was located in the field to the left of the railway embankment on the south side of the river.
Location: Fairlie Junction
Company: Kilmarnock and Troon Railway
Photographer: Robert Blane
Contact photographer: Robert Blane
Image number: 53886