Portobello [1st]

In 1846/7 a number of short curves and connections were made by the North British Railway to the re-gauged Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway. This view shows the NBR curve which connected the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway's Leith branch to the NBR at Craigentinny - a west to south curve. This was to be the NBR's only connection to the Leith branch until 1852 when the a new line on a sweeping curve connected to the branch to the north of today's Baileyfield depot. The alignment of the E&DR was lower, to the right and parallel to Baileyfield road. This view looks north with the ECML bridge over Baileyfield Road, under which the E&DR also passed a little to the left. Behind the camera was the junction and the site of the first Portobello halt.

Location: Portobello [1st]

Company: North British Railway

Photographer: Bill Roberton

Make contact: Bill Roberton

Date: 24/11/2015

Image number: 53412


Other photographs of Portobello [1st] on RailScot