Accrington

Class 40 No. 354 leads an evening van train standing in the parcels' siding at Accrington in 1970, shortly before this traffic ceased altogether. The train is in the old Bury line platform (closed 1966), but will have reversed into here and will go forward to continue its journey towards Colne. To the right of the loco old railway buildings stand in the middle of what had been a triangular junction - but not for much longer. Behind the train part of the huge Howard and Bullough factory complex can be seen. This company exported textile machinery all over the world and in 1953, to celebrate its centenary, hired 14 special trains to take the entire workforce from Accrington to Blackpool. By the time this picture was taken the factory was part of the Platt group but closed in the early 1980s and has since been demolished. In 2010 a brand new station building was built just about where the Class 40 is idling. See image 32139.

Location: Accrington

Company: Stubbins to Accrington Line (East Lancashire Railway)

Photographer: Mark Bartlett

Make contact: Mark Bartlett

Date: 1970

Image number: 38442


Other photographs of Accrington on RailScot