The paddle box crest from the Marchioness of Lorne, built in 1891 for the Caledonian Steam Packet Company. One of a number of such items once displayed in the long covered walkway linking trains and steamers at Wemyss Bay and seen here in 1957. She was a very innovative ship, fitted with a triple expansion engine with four cylinders. She never returned to civilian service after the Great War and was broken up in 1923. The crest was relocated to Calmac HQ at Gourock during the renovation of Wemyss Bay station, which was completed in the mid 1990s.
Location: Wemyss Bay
Company: Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway
Photographer: A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney)
Make contact: A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney)
Image number: 36919Tags: Ferry