This section of the NER country branch line linking Alnwick and Coldstream that ran for 40 miles or so through central Northumberland closed in 1953, with the northern section as far as Wooler surviving until 1965. The first station out from Alnwick was Edlingham (closed 1930) where, just west of the station, the line crossed the Edlingham Burn on a tall viaduct near the ruins of Edlingham Castle, essentially a fortified manor house thought to date from 1295. The castle and viaduct are seen here looking east in May 2004. The meandering nature of this country byway is well illustrated by the fact that, while Coldsteam lies some 40 miles north west of Alnwick, the hamlet of Edlingham is just over 5 miles south west!
Photographer: John Furnevel
Contact photographer: John Furnevel
Image number: 34406