Two piers which supported the signal gantry at Muirhouse Central Junction still stand. Here the Cathcart Circle (two closest lines) leave the route to Barrhead. The view looks east in March of 2011.
Sitting comfortably? Here goes.
The first line on the ground here was the General Terminus line of 1849 (in particular the Terminus Junction to Strathbungo Junction curve). This was followed 30 years later by the approach to the new Glasgow Central terminus (this met the General Terminus line beside the distant pier seen here). Finally in 1894 the Cathcart branch was extended from Cathcart west through Maxwell Park to Muirhouse Central Junction to form a 'circle'. At the same time a short connection was made between Muirhouse Central Junction and Muirhouse North Junction (old) to allow access to Glasgow Central. As a result there was a short section of quadruple track between the old Muirhouse North and old Muirhouse South junctions, a feature arising from the order of openings, but this no longer exists. The lifted section was running off to the left here, in line with the further away pier. The junction names have been re-used for what were Cathcart Junction (later renamed Pollokshields East Junction on opening of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway to save confusion) and Strathbungo Junction respectively.
Location: Muirhouse Central Junction
Photographer: Ewan Crawford
Contact photographer: Ewan Crawford
Image number: 33561