Thornton Junction

This extract from OS One Inch 7th Series Sheet 56 centres on Thornton Junction. Of the lines radiating from it only the Methil branch is no more; it's the one going to East Wemyss, though the station was called Wemyss Castle. The line seeming to go to Windygates (another red herring - the station was Cameron Bridge) was the East Fife line. The rails to Leven are still there, though it appears (in January 2011) to be mothballed. The Wemyss Private Railway's colliery lines twist and turn between these two branches. To the north: an infant Glenrothes with Leslie and Auchmuty branches. Glenrothes with Thornton station opened in 1992 on the east side of what is the A92 on this map. Crown Copyright 1957

Location: Thornton Junction

Company: Maps

Photographer: David Panton

Make contact: David Panton

Date: 1957

Image number: 32367

Tags: Map
Other photographs of Thornton Junction on RailScot