The Leith arm of the cross-shaped Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway of 1831 left the hub at Niddrie and crossed what was then open country. It never came of age (in the terms of the time) as it closed in 1849 when it was superseded by a branch from the North British Railway, now the ECML. On this stretch it ran parallel with Duddingston Park (a road) and Baileyfield Road after bridging Duddingston Road, in the centre of this view of 30 October. Behind the trees the embankment is remarkably intact, having survived the attentions of developers for over 150 years, and provides shelter and a view for the houses behind. The ECML can be seen crossing Baileyfield Road in the distance.
Location: Portobello [1st]
Company: Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Photographer: David Panton
Make contact: David Panton
Image number: 31365