More than 100 years after closure, Newtyle (Old) station building survives in agricultural use in October 1974. The original Dundee-Newtyle route included three inclined planes which required stationary steam engines to haul the trains uphill. These steep sections were bypassed by three new deviation routes, including the section which led to the closure of Newtyle (Old) and the associated Hatton Incline in 1868. After conversion to a goods station it remained in use until 1964.
Location: Newtyle [1st]
Company: Dundee and Newtyle Railway
Photographer: Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven)
Contact photographer: Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven)
Image number: 29813